Prophetic Worship Vs. Pathetic Worship

Scripture:


“David, together with the commanders of the army, set apart some of the sons of Asaph, Heman and Jeduthun for the ministry of prophesying, accompanied by harps, lyres and cymbals.”
—1 Chronicles 25:1


Observation:
What is prophecy? Prophecy is a call to return to God. Prophecy is a call to realign the focus back to what God has called his people to. Prophecy is a call to be faithful to the covenant God has made with his people.

I love this verse because it transcends time. The Church just like Ancient Israel prophesies musically. This is what our times of worship are really all about. Good worship songs call the worshiper to forsake all other things and return to God realigning the worshiper to God’s covenant.


Application:

Reading this verse today reminded me of something that I have been contemplating for a while now. I have been thinking about how so often when I worship God in our church gatherings my actions become so disconnected from the words that I am singing. I cannot how many times I have sung the words from the song Hungry, “I’m falling on my knees offering all of me, Jesus your all this heart is living for,” and just stood there singing. I wonder if I am the only one who feels the hypocrisy of my sung words verses my implied actions? I am not insinuating that any one person’s worship is less than genuine; I just know that mine is not all the time. But I want my times of worship to be prophetic calling me, reminding me, that I constantly need to repent and renew myself in God’s covenant.


Prayer:

Lord, help me to draw into you in my times of worship. Let me offer all of me, not just lip service. Lord, allow me to partake in the prophetic nature of worship and answer the call. In the name of Jesus I pray Amen…

Comments

Popular Posts