Child of Promise: Part 2 the Reminder

 Over the past few weeks I have faced many challenges in my life.  I have been put in a position of having to trust God despite of how the circumstances appear to be.  A repeated theme has been brought in my devotions over this last couple of weeks.  What started as a reflection on the promises that God has given me in my life has now turned into a running series on the theme of God's promises.
Scripture:

            “So that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.”
—Hebrews 6:18
Observation:
            When God makes a promise he does not break it.  It is impossible for God to lie thus he cannot renege on his promises.  But many times the fruition of the promise comes in an unexpected way, in a way that could not be imagined.  The author uses the promise to Abraham as his launching point to talk about that promise fulfilled.  There is no way that Abraham would of imagined that God promise of an heir and Abraham being the father of many nations would of come to fruition in the way that it did.  Abraham believed God in God’s promise, but Abraham went about trying to see that promise fulfilled by the means that he had available and truthfully kind of made a mess of the situation on numerous occasions.  Abraham’s way got him Ishmael a child that he ended up abandoning.  God’s way gave him Isaac the child of promise.
Application:
            God has given me various promises in my life and it has been crazy to see these promises come to fruition in my life.  They have come in ways that I would not have expected and even through major pain and suffering.  There are promises that God has given me that I am now pursuing and I wonder am I pursuing these promises my way or God’s way?  Am I in the process of bearing an Ishmael or an Isaac?
Prayer:
            Lord, thank you for your promises.  Thank you for your faithfulness.  Lord, show me and guide me in your way.  Lord, if I am trying to see your promises fulfilled by my might show so I can yield to your will.  In Jesus name I pray Amen…

Comments

Popular Posts