Pseudo-Apostles, Über-Preachers, and Televangelists


Scripture:
12-15 And I'm not changing my position on this. I'd die before taking your money. I'm giving nobody grounds for lumping me in with those money-grubbing "preachers," vaunting themselves as something special. They're a sorry bunch—pseudo-apostles, lying preachers, crooked workers—posing as Christ's agents but sham to the core. And no wonder! Satan does it all the time, dressing up as a beautiful angel of light. So it shouldn't surprise us when his servants masquerade as servants of God. But they're not getting by with anything. They'll pay for it in the end.
2 Corinthians 11:12-15 (The Message)
Observation:
I love Eugene Peterson’s wording for these false apostles, he calls them Pseudo-Apostles. If I may throw my hat in the ring in naming these shysters, then I would call them Über-Preachers aka Televangelists. Paul is so intent that he not be counted among the hustlers that he pledges to not receive any pay from the Corinthian church. Instead he points out the generosity of the Macedonian church in there support of him. Paul’s concern is not that these people are preaching, his concern is that the people he loves are being duped and swindled. Paul goes on to tell his parishioners that they shouldn’t be shocked by these antics; in fact they are to be expected of Satan. He calls it a masquerade that will end with a toll.
Application:
I cannot lie one of the things that burn me the most is watching Über-Preachers aka Televangelists hustle the people of God with promises of grandeur and riches. It kills me that people give money to these shams and do not realize that they are playing into two things, first their own greed and desire to rub the magic Jesus genie, and second the preachers greed and need to serve the wrong master.
I have battled with myself over my theology of money, materialism, and consumerism. Prior to actively seeking out God on my faith journey, my theology was the more the better, and however you got it served the end purpose of possessing more. As I read through the scriptures and examine my experiences my theology has changed and continues to morph. I have diligently worked to unshackle myself from Mammon. In my quest to escape the luring gaze I attempted to completely shut out the idea of monetary gain. But in doing so I realized I was not being faithful to the teachings of Jesus, such as the shrewd manager. Now as a youth minister and one training to be a pastor I go forth weary of the gaze of Mammon, but knowing that my savior has given us stewardship of such things in order to advance his Kingdom. I must remember who my master is and never stray. I must remember that I am advancing His kingdom and not mine.
Prayer:
Lord, cause me to always remember and serve you as my master. The lure of riches has ensnared many a man of God, Lord cause it to not be so with me. Lord, help me to shape my theology in such a way that highlight who you are and brings glory to you. Amen…

Comments

Popular Posts