What does Roy Jones Jr. Have to do with the Bible?


Scripture:
Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
1 Corinthians 9:26-27
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
1 Corinthians 10:12-13

Observation:

One of the biggest disappointments in boxing history in my opinion was the day we found out that Roy Jones Jr. had a glass jaw, getting knocked out cold in the second round by Glen Johnson. Here was a boxer who thought he was unstoppable and bam bam bam, three times in a row this man found himself on the canvas of the ring. As Christians we are in a fight. Paul tells us that he conditions himself so that he can stand firm. Humility, understanding that we do have weaknesses, temptations that are common to us that can and will if we are not careful takes us out, bam bam bam, we are K.O. God is faithful to not let us get tempted beyond what we can bear, that does not mean that we will not get taken out. What it does mean though is if we condition ourselves like Paul we will not be disqualified.

Application:

I have not been in ministry three years and yet I have seen pastors disqualify themselves from the prize. I recognize in myself some of the same tendencies that are common to all man. I see in myself that I can fall and bam bam bam just like that find myself down and out for the count. How can I beat and condition myself like Paul so that I do not find myself disqualified after preaching the gospel?

1. Get in the word daily.
2. Have true accountability.

Those two things are my cardio and weight training of my Christian walk. I would be lying if I said I have not found myself with my butt on the mat starring up at temptation getting the better of me, beating me, kicking my biblical donkey across the ring. So I need to beat my body like Paul so that I may be conditioned for success, for victory, and not hear the ten count pass and I am still down.

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for your faithfulness. Help me to choose the way out and not to give into temptation. Amen…

Comments

Popular Posts